Thursday, February 26, 2015

1904 Quadrant project

In the last few weeks the mortal remains of a 1904 Quadrant have found a new home in my workshop. Obviously this is a very heavy project but one I reckon is quite achievable. I've had a fascination with the early pioneer machines for a while now and building one up from this starting point was pretty much going to be the only way that I could ever lay my hands on one.

What I've got is a frame, a complete engine without ignition or carburation but with some spares and drawings for a petrol tank. Given that most parts for bikes of this age bar the engine and frame were generic I think I have a good chance in finding appropriate parts or fabricating what I can't find. 

In its day the Quadrant was a sporting mount, in 1903 Tom Silver (in the picture below) set a new record for riding from John O' Groats to Lands End and then set off on a 6000 mile ride around Southern Africa. How wild would it be to try and replicate that journey! More on Tom Silver's exploits on the Go-Faster site.

Looking on the positive side, coming across a machine in this condition can allow a certain laissez-faire attitude in bringing it back to life; you don't have to be too precious about using it because no matter what beatings you meter out to it you can relax in the knowledge that you are not damaging an irreplaceable original antique.

Finally, it goes without saying that if you have any parts that may be useful please do get in touch. There's plenty to find...

1904 Quadrant project.
This is what it will hopefully end up like, Tom Silver with his
Quadrant in 1903.

1 comment:

  1. i have sen you a message i have the question is the frame for sale?greats lex from holland

    ReplyDelete